Free Online Class – How to Make a Retirement Income Plan
Our next online retirement planning class, How to Make a Retirement Income Plan, will be on Thursday, May 28, 2020.
About the Class
We will leave plenty of time for question and answers at the end.
• Thursday, July 23, 2020
• 5 pm AZ & Pacific/6 pm Mountain/7 pm Central/8 pm Eastern
• Register online by clicking on: How to Make a Retirement Income Plan
Who Should Attend
• Those of you age 50-70 who are within 10 years of your desired retirement date will benefit the most from this class.
• Dana Anspach is the author of Control Your Retirement Destiny (in its second edition) and of Social Security Sense, contributes to MarketWatch, and spent eight years writing for About.com as their MoneyOver55 expert and for TheBalance.com as their Retirement Decisions expert. She is the founder and CEO of Sensible Money. Dana is also a CFP®, RMA® and Kolbe Certified Consultant who began her financial planning career in 1995.
Recorded Retirement Classes on YouTube
Several of our prior online retirement workshops are available to watch on YouTube. Below you’ll find information and links to five of our recent classes.
Planning for Disruptions
Recorded May 25, 2020
How to Recession Proof Your Retirement
Recorded April 9, 2020
The type of plan you need isn’t one that tries to predict recessions. That’s akin to roulette. It either works, or it doesn’t.
Instead, the type of plan you need is one that acknowledges that recessions will come along during your retirement years. Rather than the constant guessing game of trying to avoid them, you make an action plan,so you know how to power right through.
In this webinar we’ll show you how to make a plan that protects your retirement standard of living from the impact of a recession. We’ll also discuss current market events and what to do during these turbulent times.
Watch it on YouTube at: How to Recession Proof Your Retirement
5 Year-End Tax Planning Moves You Should Look at Now
Recorded October 17, 2019
We’re not going to lie to you. Year-end tax planning requires an investment of time. You come up with an estimate of everything you think will show up on your tax return. And you use that estimate to uncover tax savings ideas that will work for you.
Here’s the secret – you have to do the work before year-end. We’ll be covering the 5 year-end tax planning moves below, what they are, how they work, and how to know if they are a good fit for you.
We’ll go over how to:
• Harvest capital gains and losses
• See if it’s a good year to use a Roth conversion.
• Find creative ways to fund IRAs, 401(k)s, HSAs, and more!
• Give it away – how to use QCDs and Donor Advised Funds
• Make a preliminary draft of your tax return
Consistent tax planning can put money in your pocket. This valuable webinar shows you how it works.
Watch it on YouTube at: 5 Year-End Tax Moves
Don’t Cheat Yourself With the 4% Rule
Recorded January 23,2020
Many retirees and advisors gravitate to simple rules of thumb, like the 4% rule, which says you can safely withdraw 4% of your portfolio each year, increase that withdrawal with inflation, and expect to have your income last for life.
Do such rules work?
Certainly they’re useful when you’re age 40 and planning for retirement 20 to 30 years away. But as you get closer to retirement, these rules can work against you.
This class will show you what to watch out for, and provide four practical tips on how to account for taxes, inflation, market returns, and Social Security when you lay out your retirement income plan.
Watch it on YouTube at: Don’t Cheat Yourself With the 4% Rule
Planning For Healthcare Costs in Retirement
Recorded May 30, 2019
One of the biggest expenses you face in retirement is the cost of health care. To plan for it you must understand the three primary phases of health care in retirement; the early phase for those who retire pre-age 65, the Medicare phase which begins at 65 and extends through life, and the later-life phase when long-term care expenses are likely to arise.
We will be covering all three phases and much more in this free webinar.
Watch it on YouTube at: Planning For Healthcare Costs in Retirement
Best Retirement Investments (in a Volatile Market)
Recorded March 12, 2020
In this free online class, we’re going to look at the best investments to use when investing for retirement. We’ll cover:
- Dividend-paying stocks and other high-income producing investments
- Four types of annuities – and who should buy them
- Bonds vs. bond funds, and why at times, one can perform better than the other
- Rental real estate – and what to watch out for
Once we take a look at how various retirement investments work, we’ll look at popular approaches to putting these investments together such as the total return approach using systematic withdrawals and the asset-liability approach where you invest like a pension plan.
You Will Learn:
• The pros and cons of using different types of investments
• How to make a recession-proof plan
• Why following the retirement rules of thumb can be hazardous to your wealth
• The biggest reason plans fail to work
Watch it on YouTube at: Best Retirement Investments
Tax Planning for Retirement
Recorded March 14, 2019
In retirement, what matters is not how much income you have; it’s how much you have available to spend. After paying taxes, if you are expecting to have $60,000 a year available to spend in retirement, and proper tax planning can increase it to $63,000 a year, that’s a meaningful increase! Research papers have begun to quantify the results that can be delivered by incorporating tax planning with investment management.
In this free online class we’ll be looking at some of that research, as well as practical examples of how to apply it in the following three situations:
• While you are still contributing to savings
• When you are taking withdrawals
• How you allocate your investments
Your class instructor, Dana Anspach, will be using examples and illustrations from Chapter 4, of the 2nd Edition of her book Control Your Retirement Destiny. Tax planning can put money in your pocket! Come learn how taxes work in retirement, and how to reduce what you’ll pay.
Watch it on YouTube at: Tax Planning for Retirement
How to Control Your Retirement Destiny
Recorded January 17, 2019
Amazon reviewers are calling the 2nd Edition of Control Your Retirement Destiny the best book on retirement planning they’ve ever read. You don’t want to miss this online retirement seminar, where you’ll have the ability to hear directly from the author.
You will learn:
- Why the planning is different once you’re age 50+
- The basic planning steps to take
- What Social Security mistakes to look out for
- How taxes impact you in retirement
- How to compare investment approaches
- The changing role of insurance as you near retirement
- Key things to know about company benefit plans
- The purpose of annuities
- How real estate fits into your retirement plan
- How to estimate health care costs
- Ways to boost your career asset
- Where to find quality advice
- Estate planning steps to take
Watch it on YouTube at: How to Control Your Retirement Destiny
How to Invest for Retirement
Recorded Thursday, November 9th, 2017
This recorded retirement class covers many different ways to invest for retirement income. For example, should you load up on dividend-paying stocks? Buy annuities that guaranteed income for life? Or maybe you should follow an allocation model and use the “100 minus age” rule.
In this investing class video you’ll learn about the four main strategies of investing for retirement, which are:
- The total return approach using systematic withdrawals
- The “income only” approach where you buy high yielding investments and live off the interest and dividends
- The guaranteed approach where you buy annuities that provide life-long cashflow
- The asset-liability approach where you invest like a pension plan by matching up investments to the future cash flows they need to produce
Watch it on YouTube at: How to Invest for Retirement
Retirement Planning for Women
Recorded June 7th, 2018
We find that some women can be intimidated by financial terms, so this recorded retirement class starts by covering the basics such as what is a stock, what is a bond, and how mutual funds work. It also looks at subjects pertaining to how long your money lasts in retirement and how you go about planning for withdrawals as you near that phase of life.
Some of the topics that are covered in this recording are:
- Social Security for women
- Facing retirement alone
- Ways to cover long-term care expenses
- Marriage and divorce near retirement
- Ways to guarantee your retirement income
Watch it on YouTube at: Retirement Planning for Women.
The Key to Retirement Success
Recorded April 19, 2018
This recorded retirement seminar looks at retirement risks that you can’t control such as longevity, market returns, inflation, and the economy – how they affect how much money you will need in retirement. Then you’ll learn how you can adjust the items that you can control, such as spending, tax management, investment risk, and your retirement date, to maintain a stable life-long standard of living regardless of other external factors.
In addition to learning about retirement risks and what you can do about them you will learn:
- The 10 worst money mistakes near-retirees make.
- Why investing the same old way doesn’t work in retirement.
- Decisions that can help protect your income well into your later years.
- Why paying attention to taxes is critical between ages 55 and 70.
- Investment strategies that protect you in a down market.
- The retirees that will be most affected by inflation.
Watch it on YouTube at: The Key to Retirement Success